Papers of the Department of German, 1914 - 1971
Scope and Contents
Cover accounting, library and examination records.
- 1914 - 1971
- University of Cambridge. Department of German (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The University Archives are generally freely available to the holder of a reader's ticket for the Department of Archives and Modern Manuscripts, Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR. Restrictions on access are imposed on certain categories of sensitive record: financial, governmental and personal, by order of the originating body or under data protection legislation. Access information, including opening hours and how to obtain a reader's ticket, appears as part of the Library's web site (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Biographical / Historical
German Literature and Language were studied as part of the Medieval and Modern Languages Tripos first examined in 1886. The tripos was renamed the Modern and Medieval Languages Tripos in 1917. The Department was established in the early twentieth century. It has been part of the Modern and Medieval Languages Faculty since 1926. The Schröder Professorship of German was endowed by a benefaction of £20,000 offered by Messrs J. H. Schröder and Co., accepted by grace of 28 October 1909. Income from the fund in excess of that required for the stipend, which was not to exceed £800, was added to a fund for the furtherance and study of the German Language and Literature in the University in any way recommended by the General Board and approved by the Senate. In 1913, Otto Beit gave £2000 for the purchase of German books to form a departmental library, together with £1000 of securites to defray the cost of regular purchases thereafter. The Beit Library was to be under the supervision of the Schröder Professor.
2 archive box(es) : paper
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were transferred to the University Archives on permanent loan by Professor Forster on 5 March 1974.
Department of German
Finding aid date