Archives of the Association of Cambridge University Assistants, 1898 - 2007
Scope and Contents
The archives of Association of Cambridge University Assistants cover the rull range of operations and activities.
- 1898 - 2007
- Association of Cambridge University Assistants (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The University Archives are generally freely available to the holder of a reader's ticket for the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR. Restrictions on access are imposed on certain categories of sensitive record: financial, governmental and personal, by order of the originating body or under data protection legislation. Access information, including opening hours and how to obtain a reader's ticket, appears as part of the Library's web site (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Biographical / Historical
The Association of Cambridge University Assistants evolved in 1944 from the New Museums Club, an association established in 1893 for University assistants, originally from the laboratories and workshops on the New Museums and Downing Sites. The Association was a registered trade union and represented the University's clerical, library and secretarial staff; general and ancillary staff; and technical and related staff. The Association was also known by the acronym ACUA. Members voted in favour of a merger with the union Unite in 2007.
4 linear metre(s) : paper, photograph, negative and cotton
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The records have been transferred to the University Archives on permanent loan in batches in 1994, 2000 and 2004. ACUA 5B/1 (addnl), 17/3 and 24 (addnl) were transferred as a gift by Mr P. Stalring in December 2009.
The online catalogue was completed in March 2010 and emended in May 2010.
DateText: start date approximate.
Association of Cambridge University Assistants
Finding aid date