Historical notes, 1935-1939
Scope and Contents
Manuscript and typescript historical material collected by B.D.F. Beith from members of Jardine, Matheson & Co. regarding the firm's companies and departments. The papers are divided into sections numbered 5-7:
5. (a) China Sugar Refinery; (b) Import Department (changes over 50 years); (c) Shipping and Russian Government Bonds; (d) F.H. Bugbird's reminiscences of Japan; (e) A.E. Cooper's account of the strawbraid business in Japan; (f) Letter from the Inspectorate General of Customs, Shanghai, to Sir Cecil Clementi, Governor of Hong Kong, 23 September 1929 (copy); (g) Insurance Department; (h) G.W. Sheppard's notes about China.
6. Letters regarding postage stamps, 1935.
7. Proposed alteration to the Hungjao Bungalow, Shanghai, including two plans showing alternative schemes for enlarging the dining hall, 1935.
Much of the material is comprised of correspondence, including some copies of letters from earlier in the twentieth-century. The correspondents include C.E. Anton, B.D.F. Beith, D.G.M. Bernard, Charles Beswick, Captain George Bishop, F.H. Bugbird, A.E. Cooper, G.B. Dunnett, E.B.C. Hornell, Sir Joseph Kemp, W.J. Keswick, David Landale, Roger Lindsell, F.A. Pollock, J. Rodger, C.H. Ross, G.W. Sheppard and G.L. Wilson.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 envelope(s) (1 envelope)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received as part of the initial accessions to the Archive.
- Beith, Benjamin David Fleming, 1884-1960 (businessman)
- Bernard, Sir Dallas Gerald Mercer, 1888-1975 (1st Baronet, businessman)
- China Sugar Refining Co Ltd
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Landale, David, 1868-1935 (businessman)
- Ross, Charles Henderson, 1864-1919 (businessman)
- From the Fonds: Jardine, Matheson and Co. Ltd (Organization)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: email@example.com
all other enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org