Private and confidential correspondence with James McHugh, 1946-1967
Scope and Contents
Private and confidential correspondence between James McHugh, Washington D.C. and Knoxville, Maryland, and Matheson & Co. Ltd, London (mainly), and Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Tokyo, regarding politics in the United States, particularly in relation to the Far East. The letters include McHugh's regular reports on the situation in the United States, addressed initially to J.H. Keswick at Hong Kong, Shanghai or London, then to Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong. The main correspondents are H.D.M. Barton, D.I. Bosanquet, I.D. Bruce, R. Gordon, J.H. Keswick, W.J. Keswick, D.F. Landale, J. McHugh, F.A. Pollock, A. Reid, Miss I. Roberts, H. Sidbury and E.F. Watts. There are also press cuttings and other papers exchanged between McHugh and Matheson & Co. Ltd.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
13 file(s) (13 ring-binders)
7 envelope(s) (7 envelopes)
Language of Materials
- Barton, Hugh David MacEwen, 1911-1989 (businessman)
- Bosanquet, David Ives, 1914-1988 (businessman)
- Bruce, Ian Denholm, 1912-1966 (businessman)
- Gordon, Robert, 1900-1965 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir John Henry, 1906-1982 (Knight, businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Landale, David Fortune, 1905-1970 (businessman)
- McHugh, James Marshall, 1899-1966 (Colonel)
- Pollock, Frederick Arthur, b 1899 (businessman)
- Reid, Alan, 1911-1993 (businessman)
- Sidbury, Henry, d 1906 (businessman)
- Watts, Erik Francis, 1904-1984 (businessman)