Property letters from London to Chungking, 8 Nov. 1943-5 Sep. 1945
Scope and Contents
Copies of property letters from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, to Jardine Matheson, Chungking, with enclosed letters and papers.
1. Nos P.1-5 from B.D.F. Beith to G.P. Charlton and W.S. Dupree, 8 November-30 December 1943.
2 Nos P.6-14 from B.D.F. Beith and J.F. Owen to G.P. Charlton and H.H. Lennox, 4 February-2 August 1944.
3. Nos P.15-24 from W.J. Keswick to H.H. Lennox, 12 April-5 September 1945.
No. P.9, 18 May 1944, encloses copies of agreements for the sale of Jardine, Matheson & Co. Ltd's property. There is also a second set of copies of these documents loose in the file.
There is an index at the beginning of the ring-binder containing the following entries: Property - Bank's and Olivier's; Chungking; Finance; Hankow; Jardine Estate; Indo-China Steam Navigation Co.; Property Sales; Property Rights in China; Sale Contracts; Tachimen; Wuchang; and Wood Oil Installation.
- 8 Nov. 1943-5 Sep. 1945
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 file(s) (1 ring-binder)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, 17 April 2012.
- Beith, Benjamin David Fleming, 1884-1960 (businessman)
- Charlton, Geoffrey Philip, b 1914 (businessman)
- Dupree, William Sherlock, 1881-1975 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Lennox, Henry Hutchison, 1891-1958 (businessman)
- Owen, John Featherstone, b 1889 (businessman)