Property letters from Hankow to Shanghai, 26 Apr. 1929-28 Aug. 1941
Scope and Contents
Copies of property letters from Jardine Matheson, Hankow, to Jardine Matheson, Shanghai, with enclosed letters and papers:
1. Nos P.6-13 from W.S. Dupree to R.M. Austin, 26 April-12 December 1929.
2. Nos P.2-17 and 19-26 from W.S. Dupree, G.M. Jameson and A.E. Smith to R.M. Austin, 22 February-29 December 1930.
3. Nos P.1 and 3-14 from W.S. Dupree (mainly) and A.E. Smith to R.M. Austin (mainly) and B.D.F. Beith, 5 January-26 October 1931.
4. Nos P.1-16 from W.S. Dupree to B.D.F. Beith, 12 February-15 August 1932.
5. Nos P.2-15 from W.S. Dupree to B.D.F. Beith, 29 March-15 December 1933.
6. Nos P.1-13 from W.S. Dupree to B.D.F. Beith, 5 January-13 December 1934.
7. Nos P.1-15 from W.S. Dupree to B.D.F. Beith and W.J. Keswick, 30 January-13 December 1935.
8. Nos P.1-4 and 6-34 from W.S. Dupree and H.H. Lennox to W.J. Keswick, 7 January-4 December 1936.
9. Nos P.1-21 from W.S. Dupree (mainly) and H.H. Lennox to J.H. Keswick (mainly) and W.J. Keswick, 29 January-17 December 1937.
10. Nos P.1-10, 12 and 14-19 from W.S. Dupree to J.H. Keswick and W.J. Keswick, 15 January-6 September 1938.
11. Nos P.1-5, 9 and 11-15 from W.S. Dupree to W.J. Keswick, 6 February-27 November 1939.
12. Nos P.16-25 from W.S. Dupree to W.J. Keswick, 5 February-19 December 1940.
13. Nos P.2 and 4-14 from H.A. Allan to W.J. Keswick and (mainly) F.A. Pollock, 28 February-28 August 1941.
There is no index, but the file includes the following subjects (among others):
C: Castlemilk Estate, Hankow; Changsha Hong building.
E: Ewo Yue creditors' godown.
I: Indo-China Steam Navigation Co. Ltd shore properties, Kiukiang.
J: Japanese Concession Lot No. 5; Jardine Estate, Hankow.
M: Maligin's Land, Wuchang.
S: S.A.D. Lots, Hankow; S.A.D. No. 3, Lots Nos 39 and 57 - development scheme.
T: Tachimen godowns.
The folder is labelled 'Ports. From Hankow. Property'.
- 26 Apr. 1929-28 Aug. 1941
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 folder(s) (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, October 2010.
- Allan, Hugh Alexander, 1891-1951 (businessman)
- Austin, Reginald Mein, 1888-1934 (businessman)
- Beith, Benjamin David Fleming, 1884-1960 (businessman)
- Dupree, William Sherlock, 1881-1975 (businessman)
- Jameson, George Moncrieff, b c 1890
- Keswick, Sir John Henry, 1906-1982 (Knight, businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Lennox, Henry Hutchison, 1891-1958 (businessman)
- Pollock, Frederick Arthur, b 1899 (businessman)
- Smith, Alexander Edward, b 1888 (businessman)
- From the Fonds: Jardine, Matheson and Co. Ltd (Organization)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: email@example.com
all other enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org