Property correspondence between Hong Kong and Shanghai, 1921-1938
Scope and Contents
Property correspondence between Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong and Shanghai, with enclosed letters and papers. The series begins with original property letters from Shanghai to Hong Kong only; from J2/1/4 there are also copies of property letters from Hong Kong to Shanghai. The correspondents are R.M. Austin, B.D.F. Beith, D.G.M. Bernard, R.E. Coxon, John Johnstone, J.H. Keswick, W.J. Keswick, D.F. Landale, J.J. Paterson, G.W. Sheppard, A. Brooke Smith and A.B. Stewart.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
7 volume(s) (7 volumes)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, June 1990.
Existence and Location of Copies
Copies of letters nos P.65-269 from Shanghai to Hong Kong can be found in J2/6.
- Austin, Reginald Mein, 1888-1934 (businessman)
- Beith, Benjamin David Fleming, 1884-1960 (businessman)
- Bernard, Sir Dallas Gerald Mercer, 1888-1975 (1st Baronet, businessman)
- Coxon, Raymond Ernest, b 1892 (businessman)
- Johnstone, John, 1881-1935 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir John Henry, 1906-1982 (Knight, businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Landale, David Fortune, 1905-1970 (businessman)
- Paterson, John Johnstone, 1886-1971 (businessman)
- Sheppard, George Walter, d 1943 (businessman)
- Smith, Alfred Brooke, 1874-1938 (businessman)
- Stewart, Allan Brown, c 1888-1940 (businessman)