Semi-official letters from Tokyo to London, 1949-1967
Scope and Contents
Originals and copies of semi-official letters from I.F. Aucott, J.J.G. Brown, S.R. Hawke, G.Y. Matsumura, D.W.N. Landale, L. Norris, F.A. Pollock, J.S. Riggs and E.F. Watts, Jardine, Matheson & Co. (Japan) Ltd, Tokyo, to J.H. Keswick and W.J. Keswick, Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, with enclosed letters and papers. The letters include annotations made by the recipients in London. The letters up to 1964 are originals. From 1965 most of the letters are copies, some of which include manuscript headings to indicate that the originals or copies can be found in Matheson & Co. Ltd's subject files.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
3 file(s) (3 ring-binders)
1 folder(s) (1 folder)
1 envelope(s) (1 envelope)
Language of Materials
Existence and Location of Copies
J1/123, J1/141/1, J1/141/2, J1/141/4-18, J1/157 and J1/162 contain copies of the semi-official letters from Tokyo to London of 1949-1969.
- Aucott, Ian Frank, 1916-1991 (businessman)
- Brown, Christopher Martin Eastwood, b 1935 (accountant)
- Hawke, Stanley Robert, 1914-1976 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir John Henry, 1906-1982 (Knight, businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Landale, Sir David William Neil, 1934-2016 (Knight, businessman)
- Matsumura, George Yukio, b 1913
- Norris, Leslie, b 1907 (businessman)
- Pollock, Frederick Arthur, b 1899 (businessman)
- Riggs, John Sydney, b 1920 (businessman)
- Watts, Erik Francis, 1904-1984 (businessman)