Semi-official letters from Kobe and Osaka to Tokyo, 31 Aug. 1950-7 Sep. 1954
Scope and Contents
Semi-official letters from Jardine Matheson, Kobe and Osaka, to Jardine Matheson, Tokyo, with enclosed letters and papers, including monthly reports of the Trading Department:
1. Nos 1-62 from A.R.J. White, Kobe, to F.A. Pollock, 31 August-28 December 1950.
2. Nos 1-71, 73-76, 79-84, 87-97, 99 and 101-128, 8 January-10 December 1951, and 129-133, 4-14 January 1952, from A.R.J. White, Kobe, to F.A. Pollock. Nos 72, 77, 85, 86, 98 and 100 were cancelled.
3. Nos 2-33 from F. Jolly (mainly) and A.R.J. White, Kobe, to F.A. Pollock and E.F. Watts, 7 March-31 December 1952. A note records that no. 1 of 4 February 1952 is not included in the file.
4. Nos 1-26 from F. Jolly, Kobe, to E.F. Watts, 21 January-16 October 1953, and nos 27-33 from F. Jolly, Osaka, to E.F. Watts, 2 November-21 December 1953.
5. Nos 1-26 from F. Jolly, Osaka, to I.F. Aucott and E.F. Watts, 6 January-7 September 1954.
The file also includes copies of private and confidential letters nos 1-4 and 7-9, 4 January-10 April 1951, and no. 1, 18 October 1953, from A.R.J. White, Kobe, to F.A. Pollock, Tokyo, and a circular from Jardine, Matheson & Co. (Japan) Ltd of 26 October 1953 announcing the change of address of its Trading Department and Book Office from Kobe to Osaka with effect from 1 November 1953. The ring-binder is labelled 'File I'.
- 31 Aug. 1950-7 Sep. 1954
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 file(s) (1 ring-binder)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, 29 August 2014.
No. 78 of 1952 is missing without explanation.
- From the Fonds: Jardine, Matheson and Co. Ltd (Organization)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: email@example.com
all other enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org