Semi-official letters from British West Indies to Hong Kong, 10 Sep. 1954-2 June 1958
Scope and Contents
An incomplete set of copies of semi-official letters from G.J.P. Carey and R.E. Shea, Jardine, Matheson & Co. (Caribbean) Ltd, to H.D.M. Barton, I.D. Bruce, R. Gordon, Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, with some enclosed letters and papers. There are also semi-official R.G. letters from R. Gordon reporting to Hong Kong on his visit to Trinidad:
1. Nos 1, 3-5, 5A and 6-8 from R.E. Shea to R. Gordon, 14 September-8 December 1954, including enclosed newspapers cuttings of 10 September 1954. Nos 1 and 3-5 are from Bridgetown, Barbados; nos 5A-8 are from Port of Spain, Trinidad. A note records that no. 10, 31 December 1954, can be found in a subject file.
2. Nos 1-21 and 23-31 from R.E. Shea, Port of Spain, to H.D.M. Barton and R. Gordon, 3 January-19 December 1955. A note records that no. 22 was not used.
3. Nos 1-4, 6-11, 13-19 and 21-23 from G.J.P. Carey, Port of Spain, to H.D.M. Barton and E.F. Watts, 18 January-22 December 1956.
4. Nos 1-3, 3A and 5-17 from G.J.P. Carey, Port of Spain, to H.D.M. Barton (mainly) and I.D. Bruce, 31 January-20 November 1957. No. 3A was changed to no. 4 in the original copy found in J1/115/4.
5. Nos 1-8, 16 January-29 May 1958, and unnumbered, 2 June 1958, from G.J.P. Carey, Port of Spain, to H.D.M. Barton.
6. Nos R.G. 1-2, 7 and 26 August 1957 and R.G. 1, 10 March 1958, from R. Gordon, Port of Spain, to H.D.M. Barton.
The ring-binder is numbered 'File I'.
- 10 Sep. 1954-2 June 1958
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 file(s) (1 ring-binder)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, 5 June 2015.
Existence and Location of Originals
The originals of both the semi-official letters from the Jardine, Matheson & Co. (Caribbean) Ltd and the R.G. semi-official letters from Robin Gordon can be found in J1/115/1 (1955), J1/115/2 (1956), J1/115/4 (1957), J1/161 (1954) and J1/163 (1958). These volumes also include semi-official letters nos 2, 14 September 1954, 9, 13 December 1954, and 10, 31 December 1954, 5, 16 March 1956, 12, 4 July 1956, and 20, 10 November 1956, from Jardine, Matheson & Co. (Caribbean) Ltd, which are missing from this file.