Correspondence and telegrams of Hong Kong, London, Taipei and Tokyo, 1956
Scope and Contents
Correspondence and telegrams of Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, Taipei and Tokyo, and Matheson & Co. Ltd, London:
1. Copies of telegrams exchanged between Jardine Matheson, Tokyo, and correspondents in Hong Kong and London, January-December 1956, with some telegrams exchanged with correspondents in New York, Seoul, Singapore and Taipei.
2. A copy of property letter no. P.1 from H.D.M. Barton, Hong Kong, to W.J. Keswick, London, 24 February 1956, regarding the Jardine Stables, Inland Lot 2553.
3. Original property letters nos P.1-12 from I.F. Aucott, Tokyo, to H.D.M. Barton and E.F. Watts, Hong Kong, 11 January-30 November 1956, with enclosures, and copies of letters nos P.1-10 from Barton and Watts to Aucott, 20 January-11 December 1956.
4. A copy of property letter no. P.1 from E.F. Watts, Hong Kong, to B.E. Bolton, Taipei, 2 November 1956, and original letter no. P.1 from Bolton to Watts, 26 October 1956.
5. Copies of semi-official letters nos 1-31 from I.F. Aucott and L. Norris, Tokyo, to W.J. Keswick, London, 4 January-20 December 1956, with enclosures.
6. Copies of semi-official letters nos 646-700 from W.J. Keswick and W.E.D. Smith, London, to I.F. Aucott, Tokyo, 11 January-21 December 1956. There is no number 645 in this volume or in J1/157, which contains the letters from 1955, concluding with no. 644.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 volume(s) (1 volume)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, 29 September 2011.
Existence and Location of Copies
J2/46/2 contains copies of the property letters from Hong Kong to Tokyo.
- Aucott, Ian Frank, 1916-1991 (businessman)
- Barton, Hugh David MacEwen, 1911-1989 (businessman)
- Bolton, Bernard Ernest, b 1909 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Norris, Leslie, b 1907 (businessman)
- Smith, William Elder Drummond, 1892-1957 (businessman)
- Watts, Erik Francis, 1904-1984 (businessman)