Semi-official letters from Shanghai to New York, 5 Apr. 1929-29 Oct. 1941
Scope and Contents
Copies of semi-official letters from Jardine Matheson, Shanghai, with enclosed letters and papers:
1. Nos 33-76 from R.M. Austin, B.D.F. Beith, J.J. Paterson and G.W. Sheppard to A.H. Merriles, H.F. Scudamore and E.T. Seward, Jardine Matheson, New York, 5 April 1929-8 December 1932.
2. Nos 1-53, 55-74, 76-95, 97-138, 140-155, 159-163, 165, 166, 169, 170 and 173-180 from B.D.F. Beith, J.H. Keswick, W.J. Keswick and F.A. Pollock to A. Davidson, C. Ryder and C.E. Thompson, Balfour, Guthrie & Co. Ltd, New York, 3 August 1932-29 October 1941.
There is an index at the beginning of the ring-binder, labelled 'From 1st October, 1940', containing the following entries: Bristles, Ewo Brewery, Finance, Silk and Tea. The other subjects covered in the file include J. Kenneth Chatham, De La Rama Steamship Co., eggs, funds, furs, E. Gerli & Co. Inc., ocean shipping agencies, A.J. Pfeiffer Inc., Pfeiffer Silk Corporation, sheep's wool, skins, staff, strawbraid and wood oil. The ring-binder is labelled 'New York from Shanghai'.
- 5 Apr. 1929-29 Oct. 1941
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 file(s) (1 ring-binder)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, October 2010.
- Austin, Reginald Mein, 1888-1934 (businessman)
- Balfour, Guthrie and Co Ltd
- Beith, Benjamin David Fleming, 1884-1960 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir John Henry, 1906-1982 (Knight, businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Merriles, Alexander Horsburgh, 1887-1953 (businessman)
- Paterson, John Johnstone, 1886-1971 (businessman)
- Pollock, Frederick Arthur, b 1899 (businessman)
- Scudamore, Herbert Fawckner, d 1938 (businessman)
- Sheppard, George Walter, d 1943 (businessman)