Semi-official letters from New York to Hong Kong, London and Shanghai, 1917-1944
Scope and Contents
Original semi-official letters from Jardine, Matheson & Co. Ltd and Balfour, Guthrie & Co. Ltd, New York, to Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, with enclosed letters and papers, including copies of semi-official letters from Jardine Matheson, New York, to Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong and Shanghai. There are also some other original letters from New York to London, including reports on the silk market, and copies of cablegrams exchanged by Jardine Matheson, New York, with Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong and Shanghai, and Matheson & Co. Ltd, London. The correspondents are C.E. Anton, R.M. Austin, D.G.M. Bernard, B.D.F. Beith, A. Davidson, John Johnstone, Henry Keswick, W.J. Keswick, David Landale, L.N. Leefe, A.H. Merriles, J.J. Paterson, A.R. Riddle, C.H. Ross, C. Ryder, H.F. Scudamore, E.T. Seward, A. Brooke Smith and C.E. Thompson.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
5 file(s) (5 ring-binders)
4 volume(s) (4 volumes)
Language of Materials
Existence and Location of Copies
Originals and copies of most of the letters can be found in J1/36-38.
- Anton, Charles Edward, d 1935 (businessman)
- Austin, Reginald Mein, 1888-1934 (businessman)
- Balfour, Guthrie and Co Ltd
- Beith, Benjamin David Fleming, 1884-1960 (businessman)
- Bernard, Sir Dallas Gerald Mercer, 1888-1975 (1st Baronet, businessman)
- Johnstone, John, 1881-1935 (businessman)
- Keswick, Henry, 1870-1928 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Landale, David, 1868-1935 (businessman)
- Leefe, Lawrence Noel, 1872-1951 (businessman)
- Merriles, Alexander Horsburgh, 1887-1953 (businessman)
- Paterson, John Johnstone, 1886-1971 (businessman)
- Ross, Charles Henderson, 1864-1919 (businessman)
- Scudamore, Herbert Fawckner, d 1938 (businessman)
- Smith, Alfred Brooke, 1874-1938 (businessman)