Semi-official letters from Shanghai to Hong Kong, 1911-1941
Scope and Contents
The correspondents are C.E. Anton, R.M. Austin, B.D.F. Beith, John Bell-Irving, D.G.M. Bernard, R.E. Coxon, T.S. Forrest, R. Gordon, John Johnstone, Henry Keswick, J.H. Keswick; W.J. Keswick, David Landale, D.F. Landale, J.J. Paterson, F.A. Pollock, C.H. Ross, G.W. Sheppard, A. Brooke Smith and A.B. Stewart.
J1/24/1-17 includes copies of semi-official letters and telegrams exchanged between Jardine Matheson, Shanghai, and the company's offices and representatives in China and elsewhere, 1911-1917, including Changchun, Chingkiang, Chungking, Dairen/Dalny (Dalian), Foochow, Hankow, Harbin, Ichang, Kiukiang, Kobe, London, Nanking, Newchwang, New York, Peking, Taipei, Tientsin, Tsingtao, Wuhu and Yokohama, and reports and financial statements from these places. For later years this correspondence was bound in separate volumes, which can be found elsewhere in the Archive.
The early volumes include many enclosed letters exchanged with Bryner, Kousnetzoff & Co. and other correspondents in Vladivostock in relation to Jardine, Matheson & Co. Ltd's involvement in the exploitation of coal concessions at Mongougai and Pilevo, Saghalien (Sakhalin).
Conditions Governing Access
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
64 volume(s) (64 volumes)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Anton, Charles Edward, d 1935 (businessman)
- Austin, Reginald Mein, 1888-1934 (businessman)
- Beith, Benjamin David Fleming, 1884-1960 (businessman)
- Bernard, Sir Dallas Gerald Mercer, 1888-1975 (1st Baronet, businessman)
- Coxon, Raymond Ernest, b 1892 (businessman)
- Forrest, Thomas Shaw, d 1925 (businessman)
- Gordon, Robert, 1900-1965 (businessman)
- Irving, John Bell-, 1846-1925 (businessman)
- Johnstone, John, 1881-1935 (businessman)
- Keswick, Henry, 1870-1928 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir John Henry, 1906-1982 (Knight, businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Landale, David Fortune, 1905-1970 (businessman)
- Landale, David, 1868-1935 (businessman)
- Paterson, John Johnstone, 1886-1971 (businessman)
- Pollock, Frederick Arthur, b 1899 (businessman)
- Ross, Charles Henderson, 1864-1919 (businessman)
- Sheppard, George Walter, d 1943 (businessman)
- Smith, Alfred Brooke, 1874-1938 (businessman)
- Stewart, Allan Brown, c 1888-1940 (businessman)