Semi-official letters from Shanghai to New York, 27 Jan. 1891-27 Oct. 1913
Scope and Contents
Original handwritten and typescript semi-official letters from E.F. Alford, C.E. Anton, W.J. Gresson, R. Inglis, Henry Keswick, David Landale, John Macgregor, James McKie and Herbert Smith, Jardine Matheson, Shanghai, to G.L. Montgomery, A.R. Riddle and A.D. Walker, Jardine Matheson, New York, with enclosed letters and papers, including letters exchanged between correspondents in China and between China and New York.
- 27 Jan. 1891-27 Oct. 1913
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 volume(s) (1 volume)
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Fair condition, but damage by insects and some pages are loose or detached.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, June 1990.
Former reference: J22
- Alford, Sir Edward Fleet, 1850-1905 (Knight and businessman)
- Anton, Charles Edward, d 1935 (businessman)
- Gresson, William Jardine, 1869-1934 (businessman)
- Keswick, Henry, 1870-1928 (businessman)
- Landale, David, 1868-1935 (businessman)
- Macgregor, John, 1841-1893 (businessman)
- McKie, James, 1858-1910 (businessman)
- Smith, Herbert, d 1904 (merchant)