Semi-official correspondence between London and Hong Kong & Shanghai, 1908-1935
Scope and Contents
Semi-official correspondence between Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, and Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong and Shanghai, with enclosed letters, telegrams, memoranda, reports and printed items. The main part of the series is a numbered sequence of letters from London to either Hong Kong or Shanghai running until 1935, when the Hong Kong and Shanghai letters were divided into separate series (J1/3 and J1/4). Some of the later volumes also contain letters from Hong Kong and Shanghai to London. The letters from London to Hong Kong are originals; the other letters are copies. The correspondents are C.E. Anton, B.D.F. Beith, D.G.M. Bernard, W.J. Gresson, John Johnstone, Henry Keswick, William Keswick, W.J. Keswick, David Landale, L.N. Leefe, J.J. Paterson, C.H. Ross, A. Brooke Smith and A.B. Stewart.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
35 volume(s) (35 volumes)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, June 1990.
Former reference: J4/1-24, J9/1-4, J25/1-4
- Anton, Charles Edward, d 1935 (businessman)
- Beith, Benjamin David Fleming, 1884-1960 (businessman)
- Bernard, Sir Dallas Gerald Mercer, 1888-1975 (1st Baronet, businessman)
- Gresson, William Jardine, 1869-1934 (businessman)
- Johnstone, John, 1881-1935 (businessman)
- Keswick, Henry, 1870-1928 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Keswick, William, 1834-1912 (merchant)
- Landale, David, 1868-1935 (businessman)
- Leefe, Lawrence Noel, 1872-1951 (businessman)
- Paterson, John Johnstone, 1886-1971 (businessman)
- Ross, Charles Henderson, 1864-1919 (businessman)
- Smith, Alfred Brooke, 1874-1938 (businessman)
- Stewart, Allan Brown, c 1888-1940 (businessman)
- From the Fonds: Jardine, Matheson and Co. Ltd (Organization)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: email@example.com
all other enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org