Private and semi-official letters from London, 1887-1938
Scope and Contents
Copies of private and semi-official letters from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, to Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong and Shanghai, with enclosed letters, telegrams and other papers. The volumes are numbered 1 to 20 (4 is missing), and are labelled 'China' on the spine (with the exception of the last volume). The later volumes include indexes. The correspondents include C.E. Anton, R.M. Austin, B.D.F. Beith, J.J. Bell-Irving, John Bell-Irving, D.G.M. Bernard, C.W. Dickson, W.J. Gresson, John Johnstone, Henry Keswick, J.J. Keswick, William Keswick, David Landale, L.N. Leefe, J.J. Paterson, C.H. Ross, A. Brooke Smith and W.B. Walter.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
19 volume(s) (19 volumes)
Language of Materials
The company's letters entitled private letters were renamed semi-official letters during the period covered by this series, although the labelling of the volumes in J1/1 does not reflect this change.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
J1/1/1-12 were part of the original accessions to the Archive. J1/1/13-19 were received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, October 2010.
- Anton, Charles Edward, d 1935 (businessman)
- Austin, Reginald Mein, 1888-1934 (businessman)
- Beith, Benjamin David Fleming, 1884-1960 (businessman)
- Bernard, Sir Dallas Gerald Mercer, 1888-1975 (1st Baronet, businessman)
- Dickson, Charles Wedderburn, 1863-1934 (merchant)
- Gresson, William Jardine, 1869-1934 (businessman)
- Irving, James Jardine Bell-, 1857-1936 (businessman)
- Irving, John Bell-, 1846-1925 (businessman)
- Johnstone, John, 1881-1935 (businessman)
- Keswick, Henry, 1870-1928 (businessman)
- Keswick, James Johnstone, 1845-1914 (merchant)
- Keswick, William, 1834-1912 (merchant)
- Landale, David, 1868-1935 (businessman)
- Leefe, Lawrence Noel, 1872-1951 (businessman)
- Paterson, John Johnstone, 1886-1971 (businessman)
- Ross, Charles Henderson, 1864-1919 (businessman)
- Smith, Alfred Brooke, 1874-1938 (businessman)