Business letters: Chusan, 1840-1860
Scope and Contents
The correspondents include H. Biggs; William Sprott Boyd (also Thomas Podé, pseudonym); William Carr (Captain of the 'Mangles', 'Mercury', 'Vixen' and 'Hellas'); British subjects engaged in commerce at Chusan; Alexander Grant Dallas; Henry James Day (Lieutenant, 99th Regiment); Charles Elliot; Isaac Gutsell (Captain of the 'Hellas'); Augustus Howell (of Jardine, Matheson & Co.); Charles Irvine (Captain, 51st Bengal N.I., 19th regiment); David Jardine (partner, Jardine, Matheson & Co.); Edmund Henry Lenon (Lieutenant, 67th Regiment; V.C. 1861); Alexander Matheson; Donald Matheson; (Nicholas) James Sutherland Matheson (also 'Santiago Thomasen', pseudonym); William Graham Maxwell M.D. (surgeon, Indian Army); James Norse (James Nourse) (Captain of the 'Tasmania' and 'Ganges'); John Porter (Major, 67th regiment); Robert Thom; Edward Waller (Secretary to Rear-Admiral Sir Thomas Cochrane); and Roger William Wilson (Major, 65th Bengal Native Infantry).
Conditions Governing Access
The original letters are not available to readers, but microfilm copies may be ordered in the Manuscripts Reading Room - Reel 528.
24 item(s) (24 letters)
Language of Materials
- Dallas, Alexander Grant, 1816-1882 (merchant)
- Elliot, Sir Charles, 1801-1875 (Knight, Admiral and colonial governor)
- Jardine, David, 1818-1856 (merchant)
- Matheson, Donald, 1819-1901 (merchant)
- Matheson, Sir Alexander, 1805-1886 (1st Baronet, merchant and banker)
- Matheson, Sir Nicholas James Sutherland, 1796-1878 (1st Baronet, merchant and politician)