Private letters: Europe, 1828-1882
Scope and Contents
Letters from places in Europe other than Great Britain, including Turkey, with some from Egypt. The correspondents include Arlès-Dufour and Co.; Peter Johann Gottfried Garlieb; Carlo Gatti; David Jardine (partner, Jardine, Matheson and Co.); David Jardine (founder of Jardine, Skinner and Co.); William Jardine; Alexander Matheson; (Nicholas) James Sutherland Matheson (also 'Santiago Thomasen', pseudonym); Mrs Josefa Bernarda Salsamendi (aunt of Xavier de Yrissari); Charles Binny Skinner; and John Abel Smith (partner, Magniac, Smiths and Co.).
Conditions Governing Access
The originals of B1-11 are not available to readers, but microfilm copies may be ordered in the Manuscripts Reading Room using the microfilm reference numbers listed in this catalogue, which are also found in the Outline Catalogue.
Conditions Governing Use
The original letters are not available to readers, but microfilm copies may be ordered in the Manuscripts Reading Room - Reel 117.
9 item(s) (9 letters)
Language of Materials
- Arlès-Dufour and Co
- Garlieb, Peter Johann Gottfried, 1787-1870 (Danish minister)
- Jardine, David, 1818-1856 (merchant)
- Jardine, David, 1819-1853 (founder of Jardine, Skinner & Co)
- Jardine, William, 1784-1843 (physician and merchant)
- Matheson, Sir Alexander, 1805-1886 (1st Baronet, merchant and banker)
- Matheson, Sir Nicholas James Sutherland, 1796-1878 (1st Baronet, merchant and politician)