Accounts and papers re Sir Robert Jardine's property, circa 1902-circa 1907
Scope and Contents
Accounts and other papers regarding Sir Robert Jardine's property in the East, including letters, memoranda, maps, plans, reports and valuations. The documents are in manuscript unless otherwise indicated:
1. 'Copy of Journal entries in connection with Marine Lot 102 April 1887': extracts from the Journal of Jardine, Matheson and Co., dated Hong Kong, 12 June 1902.
2. Table of Sir Robert Jardine's property in Shanghai, dated Shanghai, 9 July 1897.
3. Report and valuation on premises included in Sir Robert Jardine's property account, dated Shanghai, 7 January 1898.
4. Report and valuations on property in Hong Kong included in Sir Robert Jardine's property account, dated Hong Kong, 7 January 1898.
5. Report and valuations on property in various ports included in Sir Robert Jardine's property account, dated Hong Kong, 7 January 1898.
6. Typescript copy of a letter from E.F. Alford, Shanghai, to J.J. Bell-Irving, 19 May 1898.
7. Property accounts of Sir Robert Jardine, dated Hong Kong, 19 July 1898, 1904 and undated.
8. Copies of the survey reports and valuations by Palmer and Turner, architects and surveyors, Hong Kong, 19 July 1898, for the following properties: Rural Building Lot No. 10 and the buildings thereon; I. Lot No. 29 and buildings; the remaining portion of M. Lot 52 and buildings (typescript); and Marine Lots No. 99 and 100 and buildings, but not the reclamation (typescript).
9. Special interest account in account current with Jardine, Matheson and Co., dated Hong Kong, 30 April 1901.
10. Contingency account in account current with Jardine, Matheson and Co., dated Hong Kong, 30 April 1901.
11. Letter from J.J. Bell-Irving, Hong Kong, to William Keswick, London, 12 July 1901.
12. Letter from J.J. Bell-Irving, Minto House, Hawick N.B., to William Keswick, 22 July 1902.
13. 'Sketch plan for laying out R.P. of M. Lots 99 and 100', prepared by Palmer and Turner, architects and surveyors, for Jardine, Matheson and Co., dated Hong Kong, January 1907.
14. Letter from W.J. Gresson, Hong Kong, to William Keswick, London, 29 January 1907, regarding Lots 99 and 100.
15. Memorandum entitled 'Property not necessary to the Firm', undated.
16. Memorandum entitled 'Property in occupation of the Firm', undated.
17. 'Herbert Smith's Memo.', regarding property and buildings, undated.
18. Map of Hong Kong depicting lots of Sir Robert Jardine, including those sold to the Hongkong Cotton Mills and a lot proposed for surrender to the government, undated.
19. Map of Marine Lot Nos 99 and 100 and their environs, undated.
20. Blueprint of Jardine, Matheson and Co.'s cottage property for mill hands, undated.
The documents originate from an envelope addressed to D.G.M. Bernard, 3 Lombard Street, E.C.3.
- circa 1902-circa 1907
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 bundle(s) (1 bundle)
Language of Materials
- Alford, Sir Edward Fleet, 1850-1905 (Knight and businessman)
- Bernard, Sir Dallas Gerald Mercer, 1888-1975 (1st Baronet, businessman)
- Gresson, William Jardine, 1869-1934 (businessman)
- Irving, James Jardine Bell-, 1857-1936 (businessman)
- Jardine, Sir Robert, 1825-1905 (1st Baronet, merchant and politician)
- Keswick, William, 1834-1912 (merchant)