Skip to main content

University of St Andrews, 1944-1959

Reference Code: GBR/0012/MS Add.8726/C.37-C.60

Scope and Contents

At the end of the Second World War, St Andrews decided to equip its new Observatory (built 1939-40) with a 30 - 36-inch Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope and Linfoot accepted an invitation to take charge of the theoretical-optical side of the project as temporary external collaborator. The material is principally Linfoot's correspondence with the Observatory's first Director, E. Finlay-Freundlich, and the Instrument-maker to the Observatory, R.L. Waland. There are also Linfoot's MS notes and drafts, press-cuttings and photographs.


  • Creation: 1944-1959


Conditions Governing Access

From the Fonds:

Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (

Language of Materials


Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom