Skip to main content

Castlereagh Street, 1870 - 1879

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3086P/52

Scope and Contents

276 x 209 mm. View looking along Castlereagh Street, with the Royal Navy Hotel in the left foreground. Next door to the hotel is the Theatre Royal, with a porch carried on Ionic columns projecting over the pavement. The Prince of Wales Theatre, built by Joseph Wyatt and opened in 1855, originally stood on this site. This building was destroyed by fire in 1860, rebuilt in 1863, destroyed by fire again in 1872 and re-opened as the Theatre Royal in 1875. The bills at the entrance advertise a play entitled The Old Corporal. Further down the street, an unidentified building is in the course of construction.

Dates

  • Creation: 1870 - 1879

Language of Materials

English

Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements

Fair condition, some overall yellowing and fading.

General

SG.

Finding aid date

2003-08-28 10:32:13+00:00

Includes index.

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Contact:
Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom