Skip to main content

Wynyard Square, 1870 - 1879

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3086P/15

Scope and Contents

277 x 207 mm. Showing a corner of Wynyard Square, with Pfahlert's Family Hotel prominent in the left foreground and terraced residential houses beyond. The square had formerly been the site of military barracks built by Governor Macquarie in 1822. These barracks were demolished in 1848 and the square re-named after Major General E.B. Wynyard, who arrived in that year as Commander of British Forces in Australia and New Zealand.


  • Creation: 1870 - 1879

Conditions Governing Access

From the Fonds:

Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (

Language of Materials


Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements

Fair condition, some yellowing, fading and abrasions.

Related Materials

For a roughly contemporaneous photograph showing a general view of the whole square see Y308B/85.



Finding aid date

2003-08-15 10:09:19+00:00

Includes index.

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom