Macquarie Lighthouse, 1885
Scope and Contents
140 x 190 mm. A view of the lighthouse situated at South Head, with the barrel of a cannon lying in the grass in front. A simple and solid design, which was originally produced by Francis Greenway on Governor Macquarie's orders, it was completed in 1817 and earned Greenway, who was a convict, his freedom; it was the first lighthouse to be built in Australia. This photograph is of a copy of Greenway's original building, and was opened in 1883.
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Fair condition, slight staining and fading.
Finding aid date