Skip to main content

Camps de Pilgrim’s Rest (Mines d’Or), 1874 - 1875

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3055B/14

Scope and Contents

190 x 141 mm. A view from the east looking down on the small settlement of tents and wooden houses at Pilgrim’s Rest, with two Africans standing on the hillside in the foreground. The size of the camp seen here would support a date around 1874-75 for the taking of this photograph and this accords with the engraving of the settlement published in the ‘Illustrated London News’ of July 3 1873. It is certainly considerably smaller than the town as Rowland J. Atcherley describes it in 1877 in ‘A trip to Borland’, (London, 1879). Probably by H. Ferdinand Gros.


  • Creation: 1874 - 1875

Conditions Governing Access

From the Fonds:

Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (

Language of Materials


Date information

DateText: The date is approximate..

Finding aid date

2012-04-17 14:31:20+00:00

Includes index.

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom