Subject files of Regius Professor of Physic, 1936 - 1961
Scope and Contents
The files document school administration and development, under/graduate teaching, learning and research and relations with local medical services, particularly Addenbrooke's Hospital. In addition, they reflect the research interests of Sir Lionel Whitby, haematologist, Regius Professor 1945-56.
- 1936 - 1961
Conditions Governing Access
The University Archives are generally freely available to the holder of a reader's ticket for the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR. Restrictions on access are imposed on certain categories of sensitive record: financial, governmental and personal, by order of the originating body or under data protection legislation. Access information, including opening hours and how to obtain a reader's ticket, appears as part of the Library's web site (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Biographical / Historical
The professorship was founded by Henry VIII in 1504 with a stipend of £40. In 1652 John Crane bequeathed to the University, for the use of the professor, a house on a site subsequently required for the building of the Senate House and so exchanged, in 1724, for one in Market Street. The professorship was re-assigned from the Faculty of Clinical Medicine to the Department of Medicine by grace 3 of 18 March 1987. The Regius Professor is head of the School of Clinical Medicine established in 1976. Appointment is by the Crown. The files cover the entirety of the tenure of Sir Lionel Whitby, Regius Professor 1945-56, and in the case of the MD degree the first four years of the tenure of J.S. Mitchell, Regius Professor 1957-75.
5 linear metre(s) (5 metres) : paper
Language of Materials
Regius Professor of Physic
Finding aid date