[General stores, ?Opobo], 1912 - 1913
Scope and Contents
210 x 161 mm. Showing two Europeans and a number of white-coated African assistants standing in a large corrugated-iron store or warehouse. Piled around them are boxes, sacks and barrels of miscellaneous produce, with bottles and cans stored on shelves around the walls. The identification of the location as Opobo is tentative and relies on the fact that the name is written on one of the supporting girders of the building. Opobo, situated 40 miles east-south-east of Port Harcourt at the mouth of the Imo River (also called Opobo River), is also known as Egwanga. The British trading station lay four miles south-south-west across the Opobo River from the original settlement.
- 1912 - 1913
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Good condition, apart from slight fading at edges.
Existence and Location of Copies
CN 1199 and CN/CUL Y3043O/9.
Finding aid date