Skip to main content

Palace, Mandalay Club, 1890 - 1899

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3029C/195

Scope and Contents

90 x 116 mm. View looking towards the flight of steps leading up to the palace summerhouse. This building was the scene of King Thibaw's surrender to the British in November 1885. With the annexation of Burma many of the palace buildings were used by the British authorities for various purposes: the Hall of Audience, for instance, became the garrison church and palace buildings were used as official residences and offices. It was not until Lord Curzon, as Viceroy, visited Mandalay in 1901 that British officers were ordered out of the palace and some attempt made to restore it to its original condition.


  • Creation: 1890 - 1899


Conditions Governing Access

From the Fonds:

Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (

Language of Materials


Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements

Good condition.



Date information

DateText: 1890s..

Finding aid date

2003-09-24 10:44:55+00:00

Includes index.

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom