Six part panorama of Bombay Part 4 15044, 1850 - 1879
Scope and Contents
251 x 200 mm. View looking east from the Cathedral tower, over the Green and towards the Town Hall and Harbour. The Town Hall is in the centre of the print and facing the Cathedral across the Green. Designed by Colonel Thomas Cowper of the Bombay Engineers and financed partly by subscription and partly by government funding it was built between 1820 and 1833. Behind the Town Hall parts of Bombay Castle are to be seen while to the left is the Mint, designed by Major John Hawkins of the Bombay Engineers and built on reclaimed land to the north of Town Hall. The Old Cotton Green in the foreground is seen as it was before Elphinstone Circle was laid out.
- 1850 - 1879
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Language of Materials
DateText: The date is approximate..
Finding aid date
- From the Fonds: Frith, Francis, 1822 -1898 (photographer) (Person)
- From the Fonds: Johnson and Henderson (fl. 1852-1860) (photographers) (Organization)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: email@example.com
all other enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org