St. Barnabas Monastery, 1965
Scope and Contents
200 x 171 mm. The caption on the reverse of the photograph reads: 'This monastery was first built in 488 on funds made available by Byzantine Emperor Zeno after had had [sic] been presented with the gospel found with the body of St. Barnabas in the vicinity. It was burned down in 648 by the Saracens, and was rebuilt in about 900 A.D. Later various repairs were undertaken, of which the most important was carried out in 1756. In this picture the monastery church. East of the Church and close to the monastery is the mausoleum where St. Barnabas remains are buried'.
- Creation: 1965
- From the Fonds: Nicosia, Cyprus. Public Information Office (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
DateText: The date is approximate..
Finding aid date