Skip to main content

Fitters pressing a bearing onto a 'worm shaft', 1940 - 1949

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3011U/245

Scope and Contents

The typewritten caption on the reverse reads 'All types of major repair work are done in these workshops'. A British Official photographs (Crown Copyright Reserved) which has the following typewritten caption on the reverse:

The Transport Department Workshops at Accra and Kumasi are staffed almost entirely by African artisans. In Accra they work under the supervision of a European foreman whilst in Kumasi an African chargehand is responsible direct to the Engineer Transport Officer.
The work of the depots is the maintenance of existing vehicles and alterations and bodybuilding to newly imported chassis.
Upon being taken out of traffic, a vehicle passes through the workshops for overhaul. It is first sent to the 'washdown', where it is thoroughly cleaned in order that fractures in the metal or wooden parts may be easily observed. It then runs into the workshops and is placed over the pit. Systematically the whole vehicle is stripped down and the various components, engine, gearbox, transmission shafts, rear and front axles etc. are sent to the fitters for individual adjustments or repairs to be executed.
Although old vehicles may still look ancient against post war acquisitions they are, nevertheless, mechanically sound and able to play their part in the work of transporting Government stores and personnel throughout the Colony, Ashanti the Northern Territories and British Togoland.
New chassis arrive from England and are altered by the fitters to suit the Department's standard practice. For instance, one petrol tank only may be provided by the manufacturer and a second one fitted by the Department's artisans, this is to enable the vehicle to travel long distances without refuelling. Then the chassis enters the body shop where African carpenters and bodybuilders build a body into it'.


  • Creation: 1940 - 1949

Conditions Governing Access

From the Fonds:

Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (

Language of Materials


Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements

Good condition.

Former / Other Reference




Date information

DateText: Dated '1940s' in the original typescript catalogue..



Finding aid date

2003-11-11 15:07:44+00:00

Includes index.

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom