Skip to main content

Cape homesteads. Fransch Hoek [Franschhoek], Burgundy 1791, 1925

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y305E/23

Scope and Contents

203 x 151 mm. Showing the homestead 'Burgundy' built on land settled by Pierre de Villiers in 1694. The main gable, dated 1791 and one of the oldest in the area, is the only surviving one from a fire which also destroyed the thatch; the building as seen has a corrugated iron roof but it is unclear whether this photograph was taken before or after the fire.


  • Creation: 1925

Conditions Governing Access

From the Fonds:

Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (

Language of Materials


Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements

Good condition.


There is mention of the fire in: De Bosdari, C, (1953), 'Cape Dutch houses and farms', p.83, Cape Town: A.A. Balkema.



Finding aid date

2004-08-10 09:17:49+00:00

Includes index.

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom