1 year of settlement 1844-5, 1845
Scope and Contents
A 290 x 190 mm watercolour of the new capital, Port Stanley, looking north-west. A flag flies from a flagpole on a raised mound to the west of the settlement, and there are scattered buildings along the shore, and ships at anchor in the channel.
Port Louis, located at the head of the Berkeley Sound, was the former French capital of the colony, founded by Louis de Bougainville in 1764, and the oldest settlement on the Falkland Islands. In 1842 the Colonial Office decided to move the capital to the more sheltered Port Jackson (renamed Stanley Harbour), as it was more accessible to the sea, had plenty of peat for fuel and a good supply of fresh water from Moody Brook.
Stanley was still a tiny outpost in the 1840s, populated by colonial officials, itinerant sailors, and British military pensioners. Work on Government House began in 1844 but the settlement grew slowly as a supply and repair port for ships rounding Cape Horn en route to the Californian Gold Rush. It was not until the late nineteenth century that it grew more rapidly as a trans-shipment port for wool between ‘the camp’ (the sheep ranching countryside of the islands) and the United Kingdom.
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Language of Materials
Finding aid date
- From the Fonds: Hamond family (Family)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: email@example.com
all other enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org