Papers relating to Hobson's Charity, in particular the Spinning House, Cambridge, 1830 - 1893
Scope and Contents
Thomas Hobson (?1544-1630), carrier, by codicil to his will, 1 January 1630, left money for the maintenance of a house of correction and workhouse. The University portion of the former, known as the Spinning House, on St Andrew's Street, was used as a prison for prostitutes apprehended by the Proctors until 1894.
- 1830 - 1893
Conditions Governing Access
The University Archives are generally freely available to the holder of a reader's ticket for the Department of Archives and Modern Manuscripts, Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR. Restrictions on access are imposed on certain categories of sensitive record: financial, governmental and personal, by order of the originating body or under data protection legislation. Access information, including opening hours and how to obtain a reader's ticket, appears as part of the Library's web site (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
2 archive box(es) (2 boxes) : paper
Language of Materials
Finding aid date