Anglican Cathedral, Namirembe. Exterior, 1906 - 1911
Scope and Contents
149 x 104 mm. Showing the exterior of the third Anglican Cathedral at Namirembe, a brick structure with a thatched reedwork roof built by the inhabitants of Kampala. This was the third church to be erected on this site: the first, opened in 1892, was blown ovwe in a storm in 1894; the second buildong was in use until 1901 when it was demolished to make way for a more permanent structure. The Kabaka, Daudi Chwa laid a foundation stone for the building seen here in 1901 and it was consecrated 1904. This building was no more foutunate than its predecessors and was struck by lightning and destroyed on September 23 1910. A fourth and more lasting structure was eventually constructed in the site in 1919.
- 1906 - 1911
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Existence and Location of Copies
Hattersley, Charles William, 1866-1934, missionary
Finding aid date