Scope and Contents
177 x 115 mm. Autotype. A view looking along a street towards cathedral buildings, topped by minarets. Situated in the centre of Nicosia the Cathedral was adapted for use as a mosque after the Turkish Conquest of the island in 1570-71: 'It is fortunate that Moslem economy, or, perhaps, a lack of fanatical zeal, has preserved to us so much of this fine specimen of early Gothic architecture. The tower, which once crowned the edifice, has given place to galleried minarets; the old sonorous summons of the cathedral bells has been exchanged for muezzins [public criers], which each morning and each evening call the faithful to prayer' (Thomson 1879, vol.1, p.14).
Conditions Governing Access
The volume is located at: RCS.Cob.18.121.
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Finding aid date