Skip to main content

Map of the Isles of the Friendly People, 1774-06

Reference Code: GBR/0180/RGO 14/58: 110a

Scope and Contents

Discovered by Tasman in 1643 and seen by Captain Cook in the Resolution in the years 1773 and 1774. The lower part of the map shows the route of the Resolution and Adventure in 1773 and the islands of Tonga, also known as Tabu or Tasman’s Amsterdam, and Eaoowe or Tasman’s Middleburg. The upper part shows the route of the Resolution in 1774 and the islands of Aggoa and Mattafoa, and south of these, Annamocka, Annamocka-Ette, Comango and Comango-Ette, Tonamai and Tellefageo, along with an indication of the depth in fathoms of the stretch between Comango-Ette and Tonamai and Tellefageo. The latitude and east and west longitude from Greenwich are clearly indicated in the border. Signed by William Wales.


  • Creation: 1774-06


Conditions Governing Access

From the Management Group:

Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (


1 folio(s) (1 folio) : Paper

Language of Materials


Original geographic information

Tonga [subject]

Finding aid date

2012-05-09 10:33:08+00:00


Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom