Skip to main content

Cambridge University Libraries are providing a blend of online and controlled in-person services. Please see our website for more details.

Records of Cambridge University Gliding Club, 1935 - 1998

 Fonds
Reference Code: GBR/0265/UA/SOC.127

Scope and Contents

Comprises records of the Cambridge University Gliding Club from its foundation in 1935 through to 1996 when the club split to form two separate but affiliated clubs, Cambridge Gliding Club and the Cambridge University Gliding Club. Contains committee minute books, annual accounts, newsletters, an early photograph album, 'Notable flights' record book and a scrapbook documenting the club's history.

Dates

  • 1935 - 1998

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

The University Archives are generally freely available to the holder of a reader's ticket for the Department of Archives and Modern Manuscripts, Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR. Restrictions on access are imposed on certain categories of sensitive record: financial, governmental and personal, by order of the originating body or under data protection legislation. Access information, including opening hours and how to obtain a reader's ticket, appears as part of the Library's web site (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).

Biographical / Historical

The Cambridge Gliding Club was formed on 12 Feb. 1935 shortly after receiving formal approval from the University authorities. From May 1935, the club was known as Cambridge University Gliding Club (CUGC). The club’s founder members included John, Duke of Grafton, John Paget, Oliver Fitzwilliam, Ralph Slazenger, Don Maclement, Keith Turner and John Pringle, all undergraduates of the University. In the period after the Second World War, the club extended its membership outside the University to serve as a local gliding club. The club operated for periods from Caxton Gibbet, Marshall’s Airport, RAF Duxford, Bourn airfield and Gransden Lodge, where it is presently based in 2022. In 1996 Cambridge University Gliding Trust and CUGC dissolved, and their assets were transferred to the new Cambridge Gliding Club, an ordinary gliding club to which CUGC is affiliated. Further information can be found on the club website: https://cugc.org.uk/about-club/history/.

Extent

0.12 cubic metre(s) (12 volumes and 3 archive boxes)

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated by Professor A.W.F. Edwards, Gonville and Caius College (sometime Chairman and subsequently President of CUGC and CUGT Trust), in Feb. 2022.

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Contact:
Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom