Correspondence, notes and computations, 1835 - 1850
Scope and Contents
(1) (i) Lists of papers; (ii) a note on the transmission of papers to R. Sheepshanks; (iii) a list of papers belonging to F. Fallows, written by Samuel Johnson, 20 June 1835; and (iv) a letter to G.B. Airy from T. Henderson regarding the reduction of Fallows's observations.
(2) Correspondence with G.B. Airy, 12 December 1845 - 29 October 1849, regarding the printing and reduction of F. Fallows's observations.
(3) Calculations of the computation of the Earth's radius for the Cape of Good Hope, with a report on the findings.
(4) Correspondence between G.B. Airy, Sir F. Beaufort and Capt. Beeker on the examination of the Cape Observatory papers.
(5) Correspondence between G.B. Airy and Sir John Herschel concerning F. Fallows's observations.
(6) Correspondence between G.B. Airy and G. Rennie on a drawing of the Cape Observatory, November 1849.
(7) A letter to the Royal Society from G.B. Airy on Fallows's observations, 14 November 1849.
(8) Correspondence between G.B. Airy and R. Sheepshanks regarding Cape observations.
(9) Correspondence between G.B. Airy and C.P. Smyth on the plan of the Cape Observatory, October 1849 - January 1850.
(10) A copy of a letter from G.B. Airy to Dr Whewell requesting details about F. Fallows's early history, 14 November 1849.
(11) Notes on Admiralty papers regarding F. Fallows.
(12) 'Historical Introduction to the Reduction of F. Fallows's Observations', written by G.B. Airy, 23 October 1849.
(13) Correspondence between G.B. Airy and George Barclay, printer, on the printing of F. Fallows's observations.
(14) Correspondence between G.B. Airy and W.S. Cavell, engraver, on his drawings of the Cape Observatory plan, November 1849 - April 1850, including an original ink drawing of the building plan.
(15) Accounts for the reduction and printing of F. Fallows's observations.
(16) Correspondence of 1850 regarding the distribution of the printed copies of F. Fallows's observations of 1829-1831, and correspondence between G.B. Airy and John Duigan, 1850, concerning Fallows's manuscript for determining the longitude of the temporary observatory at the Cape.
- 1835 - 1850
Conditions Governing Access
Language of Materials
Finding aid date
- Airy, George Biddell, Sir, 1801 - 1892 (Knight, astronomer)
- Beaufort, Francis, Sir, 1774 - 1857 (Knight, Rear Admiral and hydrographer)
- Fallows, Fearon, c1788 - 1831 (astronomer)
- Henderson, Thomas, 1798 - 1844 (astronomer)
- Herschel, John Frederick William, Sir, 1792 - 1871 (Knight, astronomer)
- Sheepshanks, Richard, 1794 - 1855 (astronomer)
- Smyth, Charles Piazzi, 1819 - 1900 (astronomer)
- Whewell, William, 1794 - 1866 (Master of Trinity College, Cambridge)