Papers on the National Committee for Astronomy, 1944 - 1947
Scope and Contents
Correspondence and papers regarding the International Astronomical Union's National Committee for Astronomy, including the following items:
Agenda and minutes of meetings of various committees, including the National Committee for Astronomy and the Geodesy and Geophysics Committee, 1947.
Correspondence with S. Chapman, W.H.M. Greaves, Professor L. Carnera, T.H. Tizard and the Royal Society regarding committee business, including visits abroad, travel allowances and other subjects, 1947.
Copy of the Annual Report of the Department of Geodesy and Geophysics for 1947-1948.
Circular on the characterisation of magnetic disturbances, 1947.
Correspondence between H. Spencer Jones, D.H. Sadler and H. Jeffreys concerning the study of celestial mechanics, 1947.
Memorandum concerning the Cambridge University Observatory, 1947.
Correspondence between H. Spencer Jones, Dr W. Adams, W.H. McCrea, H.H. Plaskett and others regarding the Presidency of the International Astronomical Union and the future of international cooperation in astronomy, 1945.
Minutes of a meeting of the International Relations Committee, 1944.
- 1944 - 1947
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 bundle(s) (1 bundle)
Language of Materials
Former / Other Reference
Finding aid date
- Cambridge University Observatory
- Chapman, Sydney, 1888 - 1970 (mathematician)
- Greaves, William Michael Herbert, 1897 - 1955 (astronomer)
- International Astronomical Union
- Jeffreys, Harold, Sir, 1891 - 1989 (Knight, geophysicist)
- McCrea, William Hunter, Sir, 1904 - 1999 (Knight, mathematician and astronomer)
- Plaskett, Harry Hemley, 1893 - 1980 (astronomer)
- Royal Scottish Society of Arts
- Sadler, Donald Harry, 1908 - 1987 (astronomer)
- From the Series: Jones, Harold Spencer, Sir, 1890 - 1960 (Knight, astronomer) (Person)