Papers on the Joint European Southern Observatory, 1953 - 1962
Scope and Contents
Correspondence with Sir A. Todd regarding a Commonwealth observatory, 1960.
Memorandum on the Astronomer Royal's views on the needs of British astronomy, 1960.
Correspondence with Sir M. Oliphant, Sir W. Hodge and Sir Solly Zuckerman concerning a Commonwealth observatory and the Joint European Southern Observatory, 1959.
Correspondence with F. Hoyle concerning theoretical astrophysics, 1959.
Newspaper cutting concerning possible items for a Southern Hemisphere Observatory in New Zealand, 1959.
Photographs of possible sites, 1959.
Reports and summaries concerning the Joint European Southern Observatory and possible sites, 1959.
Report on the needs of the Radcliffe Observatory, 1959.
Correspondence with Professor Sir M. Oliphant, Sir Allen Brown and Dr I.S. Brown concerning the needs of British astronomy and the conflict between the European Southern Observatory and Anglo-Australian Project, 1959.
Correspondence regarding site testing in Otago, New Zealand; weather conditions; seeing; and earthquake risk, 1959.
Correspondence with Dr Edmonson concerning observatory plans in Western Australia, 1957.
Correspondence with Professor Lindblad, 1957.
Correspondence with Dr C.D. Shane regarding the European Southern Observatory, 1957.
Correspondence with M. Bourgeois, R. Redman, B. Lindblad, A. Danjon, P.T. Oosterhoff and J.H. Oort, 1957.
Correspondence with Professor Lindblad concerning the Radcliffe Observatory, 1956.
Reports of yearly cloud values for Western Australia and South Africa, 1956.
Draft memorandum by the sub-committee of the National Committee for Astronomy on the project for an international observatory in the Southern Hemisphere, 1956.
Cutting from 'Science', 1956, Vol. 123, on the Southern Hemisphere Observatory, 1956.
Accounts of the Joint European Southern Observatory, 1956.
Correspondence with Professor Plaskett and Professor Redman, 1956.
Correspondence with Sir David Bount concerning staffing at the R.G.O. and European Southern Observatory, 1955.
Correspondence with Professors McCrea, Greaves, Plaskett and Redman concerning the Radcliffe, Cape and Armagh Observatories, 1955.
Correspondence with Dr Thackeray at Radcliffe concerning British participation in the Southern Observatory, 1954.
Correspondence with Dr Stoy and Dr Lindsay at Armagh, 1954.
Report by Professor Redman on the Southern Observatory, 1954.
Correspondence with Dr Stoy regarding possible sites in South Africa and a report on observing conditions, 1954.
Report on discussions concerning the Southern Observatory, a memorandum regarding a meeting about the observatory, and a draft convention on the establishment of the observatory, 1954.
Correspondence with Professor Redman, Professor Oort and others concerning the Joint European Southern Observatory, 1953-1954.
- 1953 - 1962
Conditions Governing Access
1 bundle(s) (1 bundle)
Language of Materials
Former / Other Reference
Finding aid date
- Armagh Observatory
- Danjon, André (Louis (1890-1967) astronomer)
- European Southern Observatory
- Greaves, William Michael Herbert, 1897 - 1955 (astronomer)
- Hoyle, Fred, Sir, 1915 - 2001 (Knight, astronomer)
- Lindblad, Bertil, 1895 - 1965 (astronomer)
- Lindsay, Eric Mervyn, 1907 - 1974 (astronomer)
- McCrea, William Hunter, Sir, 1904 - 1999 (Knight, mathematician and astronomer)
- Oort, Jan Hendrick, 1900 - 1992 (astronomer)
- Oosterhoff, Pieter Theodorus, 1904 - 1978 (astronomer)
- Plaskett, Harry Hemley, 1893 - 1980 (astronomer)
- Radcliffe Observatory, Pretoria
- Redman, Roderick Oliver, 1905 - 1975 (physicist)
- Royal Observatory, Cape of Good Hope
- South Africa
- Stoy, Richard Hugh, 1910 - 1994 (astronomer)
- Thackeray, Andrew David, 1910 - 1978 (astronomer)
- Western Australia
- From the Series: Jones, Harold Spencer, Sir, 1890 - 1960 (Knight, astronomer) (Person)