Counterpart of bargain and sale to Thomas Hodilow, brewer, of Sedge Hall and a warehouse for £68 13s 4d., 1586-12-20
Scope and Contents
The principal property owned by the college in this parish was the riverside one called the Sedge Hall (earlier Segge Halle), which came as part of the endowment to the college by Sir John of Cambridge. It descended from Sabina Hubard (previously Gogging) to Joan Dunning, Sir John's wife. See the Deed Book of John of Cambridge.
A card prefacing the later deeds (post 1586) records that in the 1748 catalogue item 11 is reported as, and is still, missing (not so, see 29.A) ; that in the 1827 catalogue items 8, 9, 12, 19, 20 and 21 have been later marked as missing; and that items 4,6, 10, 22 and 23 from that catalogue are now missing.
No. 33 not used.
For further details of Sedge Hall and other properties see T. E. Faber, An intimate history of the parish of St Clement in Cambridge, 1250-1950 (2006).
1 membrane(s) : vellum
Language of Materials
Former / Other Reference
XVI A 29.A
Seal: round, device of a merchant's mark. Signature of Thomas Hodyllowe
DateText: 29 Elizabeth.
Master and Fellows of CCCC
Finding aid date