Skip to main content

Byron, John, 1723 - 1786 (Vice Admiral)


Found in 1 Collection or Record:


Map of King George’s Islands, 1774-04

Reference Code: GBR/0180/RGO 14/58: 104b
Scope and Contents

So called by Commodore Byron, 1765, and seen by Captain Cook in the Resolution, 1774. Taoukaá and a second, unnamed island are shown, along with a plot of the ship’s course. The latitude and east and west longitude from Greenwich are indicated in the border. Signed by William Wales.

Dates: 1774-04
Conditions Governing Access: From the Management Group: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (