Brittain, Arthur, fl. 1892 (clergyman)
- Existence: fl. 1892
Revd. Arthur Brittain served in the Melanesian Mission in the 1890s. He took some of the photographs in the album Y309A.
Sources: Typescript copy of 'Index to Photographers'.
Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:
205 x 152 mm. A view showing the church exterior, with four natives standing in front. This photograph is used as an illustration in ‘The Light of Melanesia’.
204 x 151 mm. A view showing Mr A.E.C. Forrest, a European lay worker, standing among natives who carry large coils of feather money. This photograph is used as an illustration in ‘The Light of Melanesia’.
204 x 149 mm. A view showing a group of clergymen grouped at the stern of the ‘Southern Cross’. Of the eight figures five can be identified: Back row, left to right: unidentified, Rev Palmer, Captain Bongard, Bishop Montgomery. Front row: unidentified, unidentified, Rev Cullwick, A.E.C. Forrest.
207 x 149 mm A view looking along the interior of the wooden building, with mats and benches laid on the ground. See also Y309A/11.
Round houses of natives at Timotu, Santa Cruz (mentioned by the Spaniards in the 16th century), 1892
202 x 145 mm. A view showing the round palm-thatch houses, with people standing outside. A photograph taken at Graciosa Bay, where the Spaniards under Mendana attempted to found a colony in 1597.
206 x 152 mm. A view showing the bamboo and palm-thatched building, in front of which stand the teacher and a row of children.
205 x 151 mm. A view looking along the village street towards the school, in front of which a group of natives are standing. Ureparapara, the most northern of the Banks Islands, was also known as Blight Island and the Melanesian Mission ran two schools there, one situated inside, and one outside the crater of this extinct volcanic island.