Little Ouse (Mixed) School (1885-1899)
- Existence: 1870-04-04 - 1986
The St John Little Ouse National School was the last of three new Littleport schools established by the National Society for Promoting Religious Education between 1869 and 1870, serving the dual purpose of school and Anglican mission church. On it’s opening day, 4 April 1870, forty-one children were admitted with more arriving later in the week under the leadership of Headmistress Clarissa Anne Pointon. In 1885 the Littleport School Board assumed administrative control of the school then known as Little Ouse [Mixed] School. The building itself was cold, uncomfortable and poorly ventilated, consisting of an iron hut measuring 43 feet 6 inches by 16 feet 3 inches. While it was considered unsuitable from the outset it was not replaced until 1927. The school struggled in its early years with poor attendance and a high turnover in teachers and students though academic standards improved between its founding and the end of the 19th century. The school continued to operate in the 20th century as Little Ouse Junior School and later, in 1970, as a village college.