Woodbury and Page (fl. 1858-1900) (photographers)
- Existence: fl. 1858 - 1900
Walter Woodbury (1834-1885) was an apprentice in a patent office in Manchester from 1849 to 1851. He went to the Australian gold fields in 1852. Woodbury took up professional photography (he invented the 'Woodburytype' process) and emigrated with James Page to Java in 1858. They established the firm of Woodbury and Page in Batavia. Woodbury returned to England in 1863, but the firm continued trading until the end of the century.
Lee, Sidney ed. (1900), 'Dictionary of National Biography'. Volume 62. London: Smith, Elder and Co.
Found in 33 Collections and/or Records:
244 x 193 mm. View of a small thatched house with baskets of various sizes laid on the ground in front of the verandah. A row of workers sits inside the single roomed building, with the proprietor seated on the verandah. Long lengths of bamboo ready for splitting are piled on the ground in front of the house.
242 x 193 mm. View looking along a tree shaded street lined with thatched huts at Surakarta or Solo, situated on the Solo River 120 miles WSW of Surabaya. The town contains the vast walled palace of the Sultan of Surakarta and Fort Vastenburg (built in 1779).
244 x 175 mm. View looking across swampy ground towards the houses of a village sited on both banks of a wide river.
241 x 189 mm. View looking along a canal at Batavia, with houses and gardens on the right and a road on the left.
242 x 195 mm. View looking along the tree-shaded Rijswijk in Waltevreden, with the canal at the right and an unidentified white building on the left. Weltevreden was the European section of Batavia, situated in the southern part of the city. Rijswijk runs north to south to the north-west of the Koningsplein.
240 x 192 mm. View looking along a tree shaded canal in Batavia, with a barge loaded with firewood in the foreground and a group of houses visible beyond the trees.
242 x 195 mm. View looking along a canal in Batavia, with houses lining the banks and barges and other vessels moored on the left.
242 x 197 mm. Showing a portion of the ruins and carved stones at Borobudur.
247 x 195 mm. General view looking towards the ruins of Borobudur near Magelang. This 7th - 9th century Buddhist temple is in the form of a truncated pyramid composed of intricately carved blocks of stone.
243 x 195 mm. View looking along an avenue lined with trees and small monuments which runs up to a flight of steps at the corner of the temple.
226 x 166 mm. Close up view of carvings at Borobudur.
241 x 195 mm. View looking along the river towards the thatched covered footbridge. With a group of Javanese posed at the water's edge in the foreground.
242 x 196 mm. Showing a number of bullock carts drawn up across a village street. The wagons have canopies in the shape of miniature houses with pitched roofs.
240 x 198 mm. View looking across the crater, with steam issuing from its mouth. Papandajan is situated some 15 miles south of Garut.
240 x 191 mm. View from the roadway looking towards a large tree behind which stands an unidentified European bungalow and a circular, open-sided summer house.
241 x 188 mm. View looking along an unidentified village street in Sumatra. On the left is an impressive house built from wooden panels with decorative inlay work and with a thatched roof with upturned pointed gables.
195 x 243 mm. A view of a small but elaborately decorated Sumatran house, raised off the ground on piles and with a ladder up to the entrance set below the eaves.
238 x 195 mm. View looking across an ornamental lake with fountain towards a small, open-sided cast-iron pavilion in the shade of which a European group is seated. It is not clear whether this print shows the Governor General's Palace at Batavia or Buitenzorg [Bandar Lampung].
241 x 189 mm. View showing a roadside thatched hut, with cloud-wreathed mountains in the distance.
242 x 190 mm. View looking along scrub covered hillside towards a vertical ridge of rock. With a small building (? containing a well) and a Javanese group in the foreground.
247 x 185 mm. View of part of the overgrown ruins of the 7th century temples at Prambanan, situated some 24 miles south east of Borobudur. Formerly known as Mendang Kamular, the temples were built by Indian architects and artists who had emigrated from Gujerat under the leadership of Maharaja Adiraja Adityandhama at the end of the 6th century AD.
196 x 241 mm. View showing one of the central temples at Prambanan, a pyramidal structure decorated with bas-reliefs.
239 x 193 mm. View looking along the road which runs downhill between a deep cutting. Precise location unidentified (? possibly the further side of the Poetjak Pass).
240 x 196 mm. View looking down into the crater of the Tangkoeban Prahoe, some 18 miles from Bandung. This view probably shows the Kawa Oepas, the smaller of the two craters, which contains a muddy lake.
240 x 192 mm. View looking across a hilly landscape planted out with tea, with estate buildings dotted here and there, and a cloud-wreathed mountain in the background. Garut, in the Preanger District, is situated 30 miles SE of Bandung.