Vijayanagar (inhabited place)
Found in 8 Collections and/or Records:
Captions for the lantern slides are those written on the slides themselves.
View of the stone ‘car’ at the temple of Vitthala at Vijayanagar, seen here lacking the top storey.
View of a portion of the exterior of the temple: see Y3022P/24.
Similar to Y3022P/93.
Showing the carved granite pillars in the interior of the Witthoba or Vijaya Vitaloswami temple at Vijayanagar (‘City of Victory’) near Hampi in the Bellary district of NW Madras. The city of Vijayanagar flourished from 1336 until 1565 when it was sacked by the Deccan sultans after the Battle of Talikota and contains the most extensive collection of Dravidian architecture in India.
Showing a heavily carved pillar in the Hazara Ramachendraswami Temple at Hampi.
Showing collapsed walls and pillars of part of the palace, with a tower in the background. See Y3022P/24.
Showing the row of sandstone elephant stables in eleven adjoining domed apartments. The stables are situated to the east of the zenana compound. See Y3022P/24.