Antigua and Barbuda (nation)
Found in 102 Collections and/or Records:
Photographs of Antigua
Photographs of the Commonwealth West Indies. circa 1967
A collection of loose photographs in two sizes: approximately 190 x 140 mm and 255 x 195 mm. The prints have captions pasted to their backs. The collection shows towns and tourist spots in Barbados, Jamaica, Trinidad, Tobago, Antigua and Grenada. Photographs by BOAC, plus one print by the Jamaica Tourist Board.
Photographs of the West Indies
Princess Margaret's visit to the West Indies, 1955
A collection of loose photographs, in two sizes, approximately 245 x 190 mm and 115 x 90 mm. The photographs have captions either typewritten directly, or pasted on to the backs of the prints. The photographs show scenes and events in Trinidad, St. Kitts and Antigua during February 1955. Photographer unknown.
[Princess Marie Louise arriving at Government House, Antigua], 1913-03 - 1913-04
125 x 86 mm. Showing Bell, Princess Marie Louise and two other figures seated in a carriage standing in the driveway of Government House.
[Princess Marie Louise inspecting the Guard of Honour], 1913-03
125 x 85 mm. Showing Princess Marie Louise walking between the two ranks of the Guard of Honour shortly after her arrival in Antigua.
Return to Antigua, 28.9.14, 1914-09
126 x 98 mm. Showing Bell stepping from a steam launch on to the jetty at St. John's.
Review of Antigua Volunteers, Oct. 1914, 1914-10
126 x 100 mm. Showing Bell and Major Ledeath on horseback, with members of the Antigua Volunteer Defence Force in the background. This special parade took place on 7 October 1914.
[Review of troops, 7 October 1914], 1914-10
125 x 79 mm. Showing Bell, Major Ledeatt and men of the Antigua Volunteer Defence Force, raising their hats to cheer the King at the special parade held on 7 October 1914.
Scrapbook II, 1914-1922 (Australia, New Zealand, West Indies), 1914 - 1922
A scrapbook containing press cuttings, correspondance, photographs, tickets, invitations, menus and programmes.
[Shanty housing, Antigua], 1912 - 1913
126 x 99 mm. Showing a row of tumbledown wooden cottages of the sort which Bell wished to replace with model villages.
Sir Daniel Morris Collection: West Indian views
[Sir Henry Hesketh Bell], 1913 - 1914
87 x 87 mm. Showing Bell standing in uniform on the steps of Government House, St. John's.
Spring at Otto's, 1912
St. John's, Antigua, 1897
229 x 291 mm (overall), 133 x 196 mm (image). Halftone print. Studio name printed as part of image, print inscribed by hand in ink, au recto, below image. Photograph shows rooftops and a road looking towards the coast; ships, the sea, and land are visible in the background.
St. John's [i.e. Saint Johns] Antigua, 1912
292 x 228 mm. A view from the hill behind the town looking out over St. John's towards the harbour. In the harbour at the right can be seen Rat Island, connected to the mainland by a narrow causeway and at this period housing a signal station and an asylum for people affected by leprosy. In the foreground of the photograph stands a lighthouse, with a water reservoir beyond and the twin towers of the Cathedral visible on the skyline.
[Street decorations in St. John's Antigua, in honour of the visit of Princess Marie Louise], 1913-03
245 x 197 mm. A view looking along High Street, St. John's, with crowds lining the roadway and a large decorated arch of welcome in the foreground. Bell's description of the Princess' visit, and his assessment of her character, can be found in a letter in which he mentions the success of the decorations: 'The decorations etc were really extraordinarily good and the local photographer [Jose Anjo] has taken a lot of excellent pictures of them.' (Bell 1913, April 6).
[Street decorations in St. John's Antigua in honour of the visit of Princess Marie Louise], 1913-03
246 x 197 mm. A view from the landing stage looking along the High Street towards the arch of welcome with crowds lining the street and looking down from the verandah of the Public Library in the right foreground. In the middleground a mounted guard is stationed on either side of the street, while a carriage, presumably containing the princess' party drives towards the arch of welcome.
Sugar estate on Antigua, 1879 - 1913
225 x 149 mm. A view showing a field of sugar cane with workers in the foreground and factory buildings and a windmill beyond. The title is taken from the pencilled caption on the back of the print.
The Cathedral, 1912
278 x 200 mm. A view from the road looking up towards the twin-towered west façade of the Cathedral of St. John's, Antigua. The building replaces the earlier church which was destroyed by an earthquake in 1843. The corner stone of the later building was laid in 1845 and the cathedral opened for worship in 1847 although not completed until the following year.
The Cathedral, St. John's, Antigua, 1897
229 x 291 mm (overall), 102 x 130 mm (image). Halftone print. Studio name printed as part of image, print inscribed by hand in ink, au recto, below image. Photograph was taken from a slightly lower vantage point and shows St. John's Cathedral from overlooking other buildings.
The sugar industry in Antigua
A collection of mounted prints measuring approximately 170 x 120 mm., captioned. The photographs are copies of coloured aquatints by William Clark, published in 1823 under the title 'Ten views in the Island of Antigua.' Photographs by Henry Bourne.
Town of St John's from the Sea [i.e. Saint Johns, Antigua], 1879 - 1910
187 x 126 mm. A view looking towards the harbour and town of Saint Johns Antigua, with the cathedral visible in the distance. The title is taken from the pencilled caption on the back of the print.
Town of St John's [i.e. Saint Johns, Antigua], 1879 - 1913
187 x 126 mm. A view looking over the town of Saint Johns with the cathedral on the skyline. The title is taken from the pencilled caption on the back of the print.
View of English Harbour, Antigua, 1952
A Christmas card from Barclays Bank (Dominion, Colonial and Overseas), 1952, depicting a view of English Harbour (now called Saint Johns), Antigua, from Great George Fort on Monk's Hill in 1830. There is an accompanying undated photograph of the same scene and a short note describing the card.