Sydney (inhabited place)
Found in 528 Collections and/or Records:
272 x 200 mm. View from the easternmost end of King Street looking west. In the right foreground is a three storey terrace block with cast-iron verandahs running along the first floor. The right-hand portion of this is occupied by the Oxford Hotel. Directly opposite, at the extreme left of the print, a small part of the portico of St James's Church can be seen. Further down the road, on the junction with Phillip Street, is the Supreme Court Hotel.
A view down the busy shopping street, with crowds on the pavements and a tram in the foreground. A prominent advertisement reads 'For Ladies Only. Miss Maude Maddock, specialist for removing superfluous Hair, Moles, etc., by electrolysis ...'.
206 x 158 mm. A view looking out from the fort, with cannons in the foreground, looking out over to the other side of the Harbour. Kiribilli is situated on the north side of the harbour: in this view Government House can be seen at the left of the picture, with the Circular Quay to its right and with shipping moored in the harbour.
62 x 104 mm. A view of the stained glass window depicting Chaucer, Fortescue and James I.
210 x 155 mm. A view of the large block of sandstone, with carved steps and a carved inscription, with Farm Cove partly visible at the left of the picture. The carving was done in 1816 so that the Governor’s wife could rest and look across the harbour on the walk back from the town to Government House.
75 x 57 mm. A view showing tour members sliding down a luggage chute onto the quayside.
A view of the building, similar in design to the Chief Secretary's Office and also designed by James Barnet in 1877. The photograph is taken from the junction of Bridge Street and Macquarie Place. The building was started in 1877 but by 1888 only the north-west corner was finished.
350 x 274 mm. A view of the building taken from the junction of Bridge Street and Macquarie Place.
210 x 152 mm. A view showing some of the workings of a machine, presumably used for stress-testing on the strength of components.
273 x 210 mm. View from Macquarie Street of the Legislative Council buildings. This building started life as one of the wings of the Rum Hospital. It became the Legislative Council Chamber in 1843.
210 x 152 mm. A view of a corner of the library, with bookshelves lining the far wall and various trophies and cups on a centre table. The Library pictured here is not the more magnificent Fisher Library, which was not opened until 1910.
275 x 206 mm. View looking up Liverpool Street towards the Willow Tree Inn at the junction with Castlereagh Street. The right foreground of the print is occupied by a large four storey bonded warehouse and factory named the Virginia Factory. The right-hand portion of the building is occupied by Cameron's Bond.
277 x 207 mm. View looking downhill and along Liverpool Street, with an unidentified road junction in the middleground and open country in the distance. The street is lined with modest domestic dwellings.
A view looking down on to a pier piled with timber which is being loaded on to the steamer moored alongside.