Skip to main content

Sydney (inhabited place)

 Subject
Subject Source: Local sources

Found in 528 Collections and/or Records:

 Item

The Fisher Library - Interior of the Reading Room (looking West), 1915

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3086N/6
Scope and Contents

35 x 280 mm. A view looking along the library, showings readers' desks, and the high vaulted wooden arches of the roof, which are supported on elaborate stone corbels.

Dates: 1915
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

The Gap, Sydney Heads, 1870 - 1880

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y308B/2
Scope and Contents

206 x 155 mm. A view looking down on the small collection of houses grouped near the edge of the cliff at the gap, a fissure in the cliffs situated midway between Outer South Head and Inner South Head. The cliffs at North Head can be seen in the distance on the other side of the harbour.

Dates: 1870 - 1880
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

[The Garden Palace before the Fire], 1882

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3086A/1
Scope and Contents

280 x 230 mm. A view of the building from the roof of Government House and looking south towards the Garden Palace. A cruciform building 800 ft. long, with towers at the corners and a central dome 100 ft. in diameter, which collapsed in the fire 'with a crash like a peal of thunder'.

Dates: 1882
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

The Gladstone Hotel-Lane Cove River (Headquarters Xmas 1888), 1888

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y308A/118
Scope and Contents

155 x 98 mm. A view of the exterior of the hotel, with figures posing in front, and the river in the background. Lane Cove is a suburb on the north side of Sydney Harbour. Photographer probably an amateur.

Dates: 1888
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

The Heads-Entrance to Sydney Harbour, 1888 - 1889

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y308A/102
Scope and Contents

207 x 157 mm. A view from the military establishment at Inner South Head with two soldiers standing by a canon and a man and a woman looking out to sea. Across the bay can be seen the cliffs of North Head.

Dates: 1888 - 1889
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

The male bird fighting, 1910

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Fisher 29/7593
Scope and Contents From the File: The album now contains photographs numbered in the range 7455-7491; 7334-7344 and 7494-7634. Added numbers are: 7519A-7528A; spoiled: 7484-7486, 7525, 7562, 7611-7614, 7621 and 7626; not used: 7459-7460, 7463, 7526-7528, 7336, 7340, 7543-7544; missing: 7455-7456, 7458, 7462, 7464, 7471, 7473, 7476, 7480, 7489, 7334-7335, 7337-7339, 7341, 7533, 7535-7537, 7540-7541, 7547, 7550, 7560-7561, 7570, 7585, 7608, 7618, 7620, 7624, 7631. The photographs are not arranged totally in numerical order...
Dates: 1910
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

The Museum, 1870 - 1880

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y308B/14
Scope and Contents

202 x 157 mm. A three quarter front view of the Museum which stands at the junction of Park Street and College Street.

Dates: 1870 - 1880
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

The Pacific Insurance Company, 1870 - 1880

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y308B/81
Scope and Contents

236 x 250 mm. A view of the building, built of differently coloured stone and surmounted by a stone parapet. Exact location unknown.

Dates: 1870 - 1880
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

The Post Office, 1870 - 1880

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y308B/12
Scope and Contents

163 x 214 mm. A head on view of the building looking from Barrack Street, and across George Street, with the future Martin Place at the left of the picture. This picture shows the building before the clock tower was built. See also plate 45 for another view.

Dates: 1870 - 1880
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

The Post Office, 1875

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y308B/89
Scope and Contents

261 x 209 mm. A view of Sydney Post Office very similar to Plate 45 except that the work in Martin Place is at a slightly different stage of completion. This photograph dates from about 1875.

Dates: 1875
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

The Renwick Window, Medical School Syd. University, 1895 - 1900

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3086O/36
Scope and Contents

77 x 197 mm. A view showing one of the stained glass windows in the Medical School, depicting various figures, whose names are not legible.

Dates: 1895 - 1900
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

[The Ruins of the Garden Palace], 1882

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3086A/2
Scope and Contents

275 x 225 mm. A view of the wreckage from the roof of Government House and looking south towards the Garden Palace. The whole of the central portion of the building has gone, leaving merely at the left and right, the ruins of two of the major towers.

Dates: 1882
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

The Sailors' Home, George Street North, 1870 - 1879

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3086P/55
Scope and Contents

273 x 217 mm. General view of the Sailors' Home, situated on the west side of the Circular Quay overlooking Sydney Cove. The three storey building (? plus basement) has four sets of bastardised Venetian windows on each floor and a steeply pitched roof. Date of construction unknown. Sydney Cove and the eastern half of the Circular Quay, with moored ships and warehouses, can be seen in the background.

Dates: 1870 - 1879
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

The Scots' Church, College Street, 1870 - 1879

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3086P/40
Scope and Contents

275 x 206 mm. View from the west of the attractive and unpretentious Scots' Church, erected in 1824 and now demolished. A plaque on the tower above the west door reads 'Scots' Church erected MDCCCXXIV'. Apart from its pointed windows, this stolid sandstone building with its squat tower has something of the atmosphere of a Norman church. It was designed by S.L. Harris.

Dates: 1870 - 1879
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

The Spit, Middle Harbour, 1911

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3086M/14
Scope and Contents

A view of the spit of land, with a sandy beach, which projects out into the harbour, and which was a pleasure spot for the Sydney populace. In 1924 a wooden bridge was built out to the Spit, but at this time, pedestrians or vehicles had to punt across.

Dates: 1911
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

The Sydney Exchange, 1870 - 1880

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y308B/13
Scope and Contents

210 x 152 mm. A view of the exchange, which stands at the corner of Bridge Street and Gresham Street, taken from Macquarie Place. This sandstone building, designed in the Corinthian manner, was opened in 1857. This photograph shows the building before two more floors were added by A.F. Pritchard. For a photograph of the building with these additions see Y3086K/9.

Dates: 1870 - 1880
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

The Sydney University, 1911

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3086M/4
Scope and Contents

A view of the east front of the main building, with the Great Hall on the right. Built in the Gothic style, and designed by Edmund Blackett, building started in 1854.

Dates: 1911
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

The Town Hall, 1875 - 1883

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y308B/16
Scope and Contents

154 x 207 mm. A view taken from the junction of George Street and Druitt Street, showing the Town Hall, with its large clock tower. Further along George Street a small portion of St Andrew’s Cathedral can be seen. This photograph was taken between 1875 and 1883: in 1875 the main building was completed, and in 1883 work started on the Centennial Hall extension to the Town Hall – no sign of which is visible in this photograph.

Dates: 1875 - 1883
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

The Town Hall, Sydney, 1911

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3086M/3
Scope and Contents

A view of the Town Hall from the junction of Druitt Street and George Street, with the Centennial Hall to the right.

Dates: 1911
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

The tram arriving at Watson's Bay, 1910

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Fisher 29/7510
Scope and Contents

[Woman in long skirt and with hat, together with young child in dress and bonnet coming away from the tram seen behind].

Dates: 1910
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

The Treasury, 1870 - 1880

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y308B/82
Scope and Contents

189 x 128 mm. A view of the Treasury Buildings situated opposite the entrance to the Inner Domain at the corner of Macquarie and Bridge Street. This ‘handsome and massive building’ (‘Stranger’s Guide to Sydney’) housed the Audit Office as well as the Treasury.

Dates: 1870 - 1880
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

The Treasury, Macquarie Street North, 1870 - 1879

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3086P/54
Scope and Contents

252 x 199 mm. General view of the Treasury buildings at the junction of Bridge Street and Macquarie Street. Designed by Mortimer Lewis and built circa 1849, it is a two storey construction in classical style of ashlared sandstone with rusticated quoins and window surrounds. It is seen here before the addition of the Premier's Office added in the 1890s.

Dates: 1870 - 1879
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

The Treasury, Sydney, 1908

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3086K/2
Scope and Contents

A view of the building from Macquarie Street; built of freestone it was started in 1849, and completed in 1851, during the governorship of Sit Charles Fitzroy and shortly after the first discovery of gold in the Colony.

Dates: 1908
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

The University, 1908

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3086K/6
Scope and Contents

A view of the east front of the main building, with the great hall on the right. Built in the Gothic style, and designed by Edmund Blackett. Building started in 1854.

Dates: 1908
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

The University - Main Building, 1915

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3086N/2
Scope and Contents

355 x 280 mm. A view from the south-east of the east façade of the main university building, with part of the Fisher Library visible in the background. The Great Hall is at the right of the building.

Dates: 1915
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).